Monday, August 17, 2015

Silent Weekend

Bob's girl ditches him
For a weekend of parties
And other guys.

Most Basement Tapes songs fall into one of three lyrics categories: fully formed song that makes sense, fully formed song that makes some sense but not entirely, and silly, ridiculous songs that make no sense, but are usually fun to listen to. All of them, or nearly all of them, play strange tricks on the listener with unexpected phrases, non-sequiturs and verbal experiments that seek to fulfill rhythm and rhyme obligations while taking the listener in unusual directions. "Silent Weekend" is one of those "some sense" songs. See what I'm talking about here:

1. My baby is giving me a silent weekend. She's off partying somewhere and telling me I have to put up with it. I am in misery.
2. She surprised me with her decision to go rockin' and rollin' and swingin' with some other guys.
3. I wish Monday would come. She's uppity, rollin', in the groove and strollin' over to the jukebox, and not with me, but with the aforementioned other guys.
4. I've been thinking about cheating, and maybe I did cheat some. (And here comes the weird stuff) "But I just walloped a lotta pizza after makin' our peace, puts ya down on bended knees."
5. I hate this silent weekend. (And now more weirdness) "Man alive, I'm burnin' up on my brain. She knows when I'm just teasin', But it's not likely in the season to open up a passenger train."






1 comment:

  1. Hello Robert you can have a silent weekend down in the dark basement or you can come up into Bob Dylan's Music Box http://thebobdylanproject.com/Song/id/568/Silent-Weekend and have the light shine on evey version of every song composed, recorded or performed by Bob Dylan, plus all the great covers and so much more.

    ReplyDelete