Thursday, January 15, 2015

Ballad in Plain D

Relationship dies
From family interference.
Bob kisses and tells.

This song from the 1964 album "Another Side of Bob Dylan" is an eight-minute-plus reconstruction of Dylan's quarrel with Carla Rotolo, sister of his ex-girlfriend Suzie Rotolo and the breakup of his and Rotolo's relationship. It's raw and mean and Dylan has said that he probably should have let that song stay in the dark. It's undeniably interesting and engrossing, but it does feel a little bit like reading someone else's mail.

Samples:

Of the two sisters, I loved the young With sensitive instincts, she was the creative one The constant scapegoat, she was easily undone By the jealousy of others around her For her parasite sister, I had no respect Bound by her boredom, her pride to protect Countless visions of the other she’d reflect As a crutch for her scenes and her society Myself, for what I did, I cannot be excused The changes I was going through can’t even be used For the lies that I told her in hopes not to lose The could-be dream-lover of my lifetime And: “The tragic figure!” her sister did shout “Leave her alone, God damn you, get out!” And I in my armor, turning about And nailing her to the ruins of her pettiness Beneath a bare lightbulb the plaster did pound Her sister and I in a screaming battleground And she in between, the victim of sound Soon shattered as a child ’neath her shadows

Try playing it at parties.



1 comment:

  1. Hello there Robert, Thank you for posting this analysis of a song from Bob Dylan's Music Box: http://thebobdylanproject.com/Song/id/46/Ballad-in-Plain-D Come and join us inside and listen to every song composed, recorded or performed by Bob Dylan, plus all the great covers streaming on YouTube, Spotify, Deezer and SoundCloud plus so much more... including this link.

    ReplyDelete